BOC official confident of Mindanao port’s revenues up this year

November 10, 2012 12:23 am 

DAVAO CITY, Nov. 9 — The Burau of Customs (BOC) has expressed confidence that 2012 will be another banner year for the combined ports of Mindanao International Container Terminal, Cagayan de Oro, Iligan and Ozamis.

BOC District Collector Anju Nerio Castigador of Cagayan de Oro attributed the sustained collection performance to reforms instituted by the Customs authority under Commissioner Ruffy Biazon and the well-motivated Customs port personnel in the northern rim of Mindanao.

The same enthusiasm is shared by Davao District Collector Martiniano Bangcoy. This month’s performance is up by P88,847,919 against target of P458,850,000.

The two major districts in Mindanao overshadowed their respective 2011 year-to-date collection performance by 18 percent.

Castigador and Bangcoy are looking forward to bigger collections until December because of the accretion of importations towards the year end.

The major Customs ports in Mindanao sustained its positive collection performance as October revenues dwarfed that of last year.

The billionaire ports of the cities of Davao and Cagayan de Oro ended the current month with a collection of P547,697,919.54 and P554,871,492.71, respectively.

Catigador said a more dramatic increase was reported by the Port of Surigao which virtually perked up from lethargy collecting P83 million from its October target of P21 million.

However, this cannot be independently ascertained as of this writing for lack of communications link, he said.

Cagayan de Oro district, which has the highest revenue target in Mindanao, exceeded its October target of P488,757,000 by P66,114,492, or a deviation of 13.53 percent.

On the other hand, Castigador said smuggling is being watched closely especially in the sub-port of Polloc in Parang and General Santos City. (PNA)

LAM/SCLEDESMA JR./LDP/UTB

Comments

Comments are closed.