Comelec denies Alam's appeal

October 30, 2012 10:21 pm 

MANILA, Oct. 30 — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) has denied the plea of a group of media practitioners to reconsider its earlier decision disapproving its application to participate in next year's midterm election.

Comelec Commissioner Rene Sarmiento said the group, Alab ng Mamamahayag has failed to meet the requirements of representing the marginalized sector as prescribed under Republic Act No. 7941, or the Partylist System Act.

"They had no track record that they had been working for this multi-sectors," he said.

The Comelec official noted that the failure of ALAM to prove its allegation of bribery against two poll personnel also contributed to their decision.

"It's another factor because it does not speak well of the organization to make a series of allegation of bribery that there is no evidence. Be careful with allegations if names are involved.

In its appeal, ALAM, led by lawyer-journalist Berteni Cataluna "Toto" Causing, argued that the Comelec Second Division erred in issuing its Sept. 12, 2012 resolution dismissing its bid for accreditation on the ground of lack of track record as a group.

They argued that the Constitution and the provisions of Republic Act No. 9741 do not require "track record."

ALAM’s other nominees are Jerry S. Yap, Benny D. Antiporda, Analiza P. Dela Camara-Paz, and Joey G. Venancio.

Meanwhile, the Comelec will issue its resolution on the disqualification of Ang Galing Partylist (AGP), represented by Juan Miguel "Mikey" Arroyo, within the week.

The Comelec said that the group does not represent any marginalized sector of society.

The term of Arroyo, son of former President and Pampang Rep. Gloria Macapagal Arroyo, is until June 30, 2013. (PNA)

RMA/FGP/JCF

Comments

Comments are closed.