Palace welcomes Commander Bravo's support for Mindanao peace pact

October 22, 2012 10:00 pm 

MANILA, Oct. 22 — Malacanang welcomes the statement last week issued by one of the Moro Islamic Liberation Fronts’ (MILF) field commanders expressing support to the newly signed Framework Agreement between the Muslim separatists and the government.

Commander Bravo, one of MILF’s renegade commanders, called on the critics of the agreement to support it before making any unnecessary comments on the peace pact.

Bravo was one of the MILF rebel leaders who attacked several towns in Mindanao when the high court rejected an agreement reached by the MILF and Arroyo government a few years ago.

“We welcome a statement like the one issued by Commander Bravo. Ang mahalaga kasi niyan pag-aralan nang maayos itong Framework Agreement. Nakasaad doon kung anong magiging agreements, ‘yung framework for peace. So certainly, we welcome—at least Commander Bravo is giving pjeace a chance where war used to reign,” Presidential Spokesman Edwin Lacierda said in a press briefing on Monday in Malacanang.

Asked by reporters how the government would deal with Bravo because he is wanted by the law, Lacierda said the Palace is leaving the issue with government chief negotiator Marvic Leonen to thresh out.

The government and the MILF signed on Monday last week the Framework Agreement that will put an end to 40 years of Muslim rebellion in the south.

The signing was attended by President Benigno S. Aquino III and Malaysia Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak, MILF Chairman Al Haj Murad Ebrahim and other partners.

Both the government and MILF negotiators will go back to Malaysia to iron out the annexes of the agreement and to come out with a comprehensive peace pact before the end of the year.

President Aquino is expected to issue an order creating a Transition Commission that will work on the implementation of the peace deal. (PNA)

RMA/PCOO/SSC

Comments

Comments are closed.