Comelec asks Pasay court to reset hearings vs CGMA electoral sabotage raps
October 4, 2012 9:37 pm
By Christopher Llloyd T. Caliwan
MANILA, Oct. 4 — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Thursday asked a Pasay City court to reset this year's hearings on the electoral sabotage case filed against former president and now Pampanga 2nd District Rep. Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo to next year.
Pasay City Regional Trial Court (RTC) Branch 112 spokesperson Felda Domingo said the poll body, through Atty. Maria Juana Valeza, has filed an ex-parte motion asking Presiding Judge Jesus Mupas to reschedule the hearings, saying the Comelec spends a lot of time preparing for the 2013 mid-term elections, including this week’s filing of the certificate of candidacy of those who want to run in the polls.
The court official said the court had already set the hearings for the case on Oct. 25, Nov. 8, 15 and 22 but the prosecution asked that these hearings be held instead on Jan. 31 and Feb. 7, 21 and 28 next year.
Domingo also said that instead of holding a hearing on the prosecution’s motion, Mupas has decided to ask the defense panel to comment on the motion before he will issue a ruling.
Aside from Arroyo, also facing the same charges in connection with alleged irregularities in the 2007 senatorial elections are close Arroyo's ally, former Maguindanao governor Andal Ampatuan Sr. and former Maguindanao election supervisor Lintang Bedol.
All three have pleaded not guilty to the charges. (PNA)