No negotiation with group holding Al Arabiya news team – Robredo

July 9, 2012 9:54 pm 

MANILA, July 9 – Department of Interior and Local Government (DILG) Secretary Jesse Robredo on Monday said that the government is not holding any talks or negotiations with the Abu Sayyaf Group (ASG) that holds Al Arabiya Southeast Asia bureau chief Baker Abdulla Atyani and his two Filipino assistants captives.

"We are just complying with the government's policy of holding no negotiations with kidnapping or bandit groups," he said.

Robredo also said that he was puzzled on why the group, reportedly holding custody of Atyani, had not allowed the former to leave their camp, adding that the Jordanian reporter is well known to them.

"We are waiting for the arrangers of the interviews to come forward and give us details on how the matter come to be," he said.

The DILG chief said that matters would have not gotten out of hand had Atyani and his team cooperated with authorities in planning their Sulu interview.

Reported missing as of June 12 is Atyani and his Filipino crew Rolando Letrero and Ramelito Vela.

This was after the trio failed to return to their room at the Sulu State College Hostel where they checked in 11 p.m. on June 11

At 5:45 a.m. on June 12, the three men were reportedly fetched by a man driving a multicab and have not returned since then.

The group was supposedly were in Sulu to interview ranking ASG leaders.(PNA)

RMA/PFN

Comments

Comments are closed.