Aquino satisfied with contingency measures for hazard-free Lenten season

April 2, 2012 11:00 pm 

MANILA, April 2 — President Benigno S. Aquino III is satisfied with the contingency measures being implemented by the various concerned government agencies to ensure not only the safety but also the convenience of the throng of passengers travelling by land, air, and sea to spend time with their loved ones in the provinces and commemorate the passion, death and resurrection of Jesus Christ during the Holy Week.

In an ambush interview at the last stop of his visits to the Pier 2 of North Harbor in Manila, the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) Terminal 3 in Pasay City and Araneta Center Bus Station Super Center Building in Cubao Quezon City on Holy Monday, President Aquino expressed contentment on the preparations for the Holy Week where a large number of Filipinos are expected to travel to their respective provinces.

“Malaki na ang pinagbago from last year… pati iyong port, pati itong terminal… medyo mas magulo tayo last year… ngayon mukhang mas systematized at nakangiti naman lahat ng mga pasaherong nakausap natin kanina, mukhang mas maayos di hamak this year kaysa last year,” the President said.

“Palagay ko maayos na maayos, pati yung traffic sa Edsa kanina, surprisingly napakagaan na… Monday pa lang medyo magaan na, so far masaya tayo sa nakikita natin… at may kumpiyansa tayo sa pag-alis natin na nasa tama lahat ng preparasyon,” he said.

The Chief Executive assured that the government will not only look after the security measures but also the steps to expedite and ease the process of travel for the people.

“Hindi lang naman security procedures ang tiningnan natin pati na rin iyong convenience at safety ng mga manglalakbay… at kanina tiningnan natin ang NAIA, nagbukas kasi sila ng mas maraming mga entrance para mas mapabilis yung proseso na makapasok sa terminal, ang ipinangako sa atin 10 minutes, inorasan ko yung dulo na pasahero… umabot ng five and a half (minutes) so, mukhang name-meet naman nila yung objectives,” the President said.

He commended Transportation and Communications Secretary Mar Roxas II and his team for the improvements of the situation in the airport, seaport and bus terminals.

President Aquino also assured the people of a more improved processes and ambiance in the said terminals in the coming holidays.

“Nag-surprise inspection din kami sa mga toilets and for the most part ok, clean… yung mga sahig, structures and siguro mas makikita ninyo yung nagawa na ni Secretary Roxas at buong team ng transportation and communications pagdating ng pasko yung talagang better and mas vastly improved,” the President noted.

The President visited the North Harbor in Road 10 Tondo Manila where the largest vessel of Negros Navigation with a total capacity of 2,200 passengers was awaiting its schedule of travel. During his onsite inspection of the ticketing booth, X-ray machines and the passengers’ waiting area, he was briefed by Sec. Roxas on the improvement measures being implemented for the sea port.

At 10:55 a.m., President Aquino arrived at the NAIA Terminal 3 to check on the X-ray booth at the main entrance for his initial security inspection, the help desks area, domestic check-in counters, terminal fee counters and the final security check area.

For the final leg of the visit, the Chief Executive went to the Araneta Center Bus Station where he was briefed by Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) Chairman Francis Tolentino following the inspection on the flow of passengers and the security measures applied in the bus terminal.

President Aquino leaves Monday night for Phnom Penh, Cambodia to join other leaders of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (Asean) in celebrating the regional bloc’s 45th foundation anniversary during the opening of the 20th Asean Summit on Tuesday. (PNA) RMA/ssc

Comments

Comments are closed.