Napolcom to probe alleged summary execution of two confessed child-rapists

March 17, 2012 1:06 am 

MANILA, March 16 — The National Police Commission (Napolcom) has formed a special task force to investigate the alleged summary execution of the two confessed child-rapists at the Manila Police District headquarters on Tuesday.

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has raised serious doubts about the deaths of Roderick Soliveres, 28; and Cecilio Bacolo, Jr., 19, at the homicide section of the MPD headquarters Tuesday night.

Both suspects have been arrested for the brutal rape-slay of a seven-year-old-girl in Sta. Mesa, Manila Friday last week.

Soliveres and Bacolo have admitted luring the seven-year-old first grader and taking turns raping her. Soliveres also confessed that he was the one who strangled the girl to death.

According to Napolcom Vice Chairman Eduardo Escueta, the special task force would investigate the incident, primarily to determine if there was indeed a “scuffle” as claimed by the policemen.

“The task force has gone to the MPD to look at the bottom of the case. This constitutes possible grave misconduct and gross neglect of duty,” Escueta said.

As part of the due process, Escueta said Napolcom investigators would get the statement of SPO1 Ramil Dimaguiba and PO3 Rodel Benitez.

The Commission on Human Rights (CHR) has raised serious doubts about the deaths of Roderick Soliveres, 28; and Cecilio Bacolo, Jr., 19, at the homicide section of the MPD headquarters Tuesday night.

Both suspects have been arrested for the brutal rape-slay of a seven-year-old-girl in Sta. Mesa, Manila Friday last week.

Soliveres and Bacolo have admitted luring the seven-year-old first grader and taking turns raping her. Soliveres also confessed that he was the one who strangled the girl to death.

Dimaguiba claimed Soliveres tried to grab his service firearm when he went inside the detention cell. but inadvertently shot Bacolo Jr. Another officer responding to the commotion then shot Soliveres.

If there was sufficient evidence, Escueta said both policemen faced dismissal from the service.

“We cannot conclude yet what really happened there. We have to be careful about this investigation so as not to unnecessarily compromise our policemen,” the Napolcom official said.

Asked about the rules of engagement in cases where a suspect in custody puts the life of his captor at risk, Escueta said custodial officers should be careful in using deadly force to repel an aggression.

“They should first at least try to subdue the suspect, either by a punch or by simply overpowering him,” he said, adding that the use of deadly force should be the last resort.

But Escueta admitted there was a thin line that dividesd what was “reasonable force” and “beyond reasonable force”.

“It’s their lives that are in jeopardy, and it depends on the actual situation. Of course they have every right to defend themselves,” he said, adding that every PNP member enjoys presumption of regularity as law enforcers.

He assured that there would be no whitewash in the case and that the agency would never tolerated summary execution-style of crime suspects in dealing justice.

The deaths of Soliveres and Bacolo took place just more than a month after a Chinese national, Gong Shu Yang, was killed during a supposed scuffle with his policemen escorts.

The Chinese suspect was facing murder charges after he ran over his girlfriend Zhao Chun Lan. The incident was caught in CCTV. (PNA)

RMA/CLTC

Comments

Comments are closed.