Davao City cop official says gun ban reduces criminal incidents

March 16, 2012 9:44 am 

DAVAO CITY, March 15 — Senior Superintendent Ronald de la Rosa, director of the Davao City Police Office (DCPO) said the gun ban has reduced the criminal incidents in the city involving hand guns.

Speaking in the AFP-PNP Press Corps briefing at the Task Force Davao Headquarters on Thursday, he said the gun ban has significantly clipped the movement of criminals carrying hand guns.

He said only two arrests were made related to gun ban violation, involving an employee of the Department of Environment and Natural Resources and a military asset.

De la Rosa attributed this positive development to the massive information drive of the security measure that is in effect for the whole month duration of the 75th Araw ng Dabaw festivities.

“This development involves two factors like the gun ban implementation and the aggressive police and military operations conducted by the city police and the Task Force Davao like the operation: Sita, kapkap and bakal 24 hours a day,” he said.

De la Rosa also underscored that Mayor Sara Duterte-Carpio is exempted from the gun ban.

He said incidentally, the mayor does not want to bring firearms herself.

De la Rosa said it is the mayor who requires her escorts to wear their uniforms in order to carry their firearms during the gun ban.

“She is only observing the implementing guidelines on the special gun ban,” he said.

De la Rosa said all local government executives from the mayors, governors and barangay chairs are exempted from the gun ban, provided their firearms are licensed and if the firearm is government-owned or issued, must be covered with the corresponding memorandum receipt from the government.

He said barangay chairs can only carry their weapons within their area of jurisdiction.

“They can be arrested if they bring their firearms outside their jurisdiction,” De la Rosa said.

Colonel Marcos Norman Flores, commander of the Task Force Davao also noticed the remarkable cooperation of people from outside Davao City in the implementation of the gun ban.

He disclosed that the TF Davao detachments in Barangay Sirawan, Toril and Barangay Ilang, Tibungco, respectively accounted for a total of 22 firearms deposited by bodyguards of politicians coming to the city.

“No long firearms can enter the city for the duration of gun ban,” Flores.

Superintendent Marcial Magistrado IV, spokesperson of the Police Regional Office 11 disclosed only two gun ban exemptions have been approved so far relative to the special gun ban.

He said a special committee composed of the deputy directors for operations, intelligence and general staff approves the gun ban exemption.

Magistrado said a total of 300 persons had been given the permits to transport firearms relative to the shooting sportfest today, Friday.

In the same briefing, Lt. General Arthur Tabaquero, commander of the Eastern Mindanao Command ordered all police and military units to abide with the special gun ban and not to do unnecessary movements that will violate the measure. (PNA) dct/RSV/JSGD/ldp

Comments

Comments are closed.