French journalist's whereabouts in Homs remain unclear

February 29, 2012 10:40 am 

BEIRUT, Feb. 29 — The specific whereabouts of the French journalist, wounded and trapped in restive Homs, remain unclear as of Tuesday, while her British colleague was smuggled out of the besieged Syrian city and arrived in Lebanon.

Earlier in the day, reports said both Edith Bouvier (French) and Paul Conroy (British) were smuggled into Lebanon. But a security source told Xinhua on Tuesday night that the Lebanese authorities have not received any information confirming Bouvier's arrival in the country.

French President Nicolas Sarkozy retracted a comment he made earlier that Bouvier had also been successfully smuggled to Lebanon.

A French embassy official in Lebanon told the English-language newspaper The Daily S tar that they have "no information" on Bouvier's whereabouts.

Meanwhile, Britain's Foreign and Commonwealth Office confirmed that Conroy has arrived safely in Lebanon.

British Ambassador to Lebanon Tom Fletcher said that Conroy has been taken good care of at the embassy.

Conroy and Bouvier were among the several journalists trapped in Homs' neighborhood of Baba Amro, where U.S. journalist Marie Colvin and French photographer Remi Ochlik were killed last week. (PNA/Xinhua)

FPV/ebp

Comments

Comments are closed.