Death toll of Italian cruise liner up to 6, 16 still missing

January 16, 2012 11:51 pm 

ROME, Jan. 16 — The death toll from the wreck of an Italian cruise liner rose to six on Monday as another body was found, Italy's ANSA news agency said.

Sixteen people from the Costa Concordia liner are now missing, and a mayor on the Tuscan island of Isola del Giglio, where the vessel hit rocks Friday night, said the chances of them being found were "getting fainter."

The latest body is believed to be that of an Italian, rescue services said. So far, the bodies of two French, a Peruvian, a Spaniard and two Italians had been found.

The captain of the ship has come under fire for allegedly raising the alarm too late to get the passengers off the ship safely. (PNA/Xinhua) RMA/utb

Comments

Comments are closed.