Zambo City gives cash assistance to slain, wounded soldiers

November 10, 2011 10:48 pm 

ZAMBOANGA CITY, Nov. 10 – Mayor Celso Lobregat handed over Wednesday afternoon this city government’s cash assistance amounting to more over half-a-million pesos to the soldiers and policemen who were either killed or wounded in action during clashes with armed groups believed to be Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels in Basilan and Zamboanga Sibugay provinces including in this city.

The city government also extended similar assistance to the 22 victims of three bombing incidents that occurred here last month, when this city was in the thick of its annual Zamboanga Hermosa Festival.

“I am sure no amount of assistance can compensate for the pain and the loss that the families of those men in uniform including the civilians have suffered. Nevertheless, this amount is a token of deep appreciation from the city government and the people of Zamboanga,” Lobregat said during the distribution of the cash assistance at City Hall.

Those who received the cash assistance on behalf of the beneficiaries are: Brig. Gen. Gerardo Layug, deputy commander of the Western Mindanao Command (Wesmincom); Col. Gerry Barrientos, commander of the Zamboanga Sibugay-based Army 102nd Infantry Brigade; Task Force Zamboanga (TFZ) commander Col. Buenaventura Pascual; and, Zamboanga City police director Senior Supt. Edwin De Ocampo.

City Social Welfare and Development Officer Francisco Barredo assisted Lobregat in the distribution of the cash assistance.

Lobregat first distributed the checks for the 19 soldiers killed and 14 others wounded in the encounter with rebels in Al-Barka town, Basilan last October 18.

The beneficiaries are mostly from Luzon while the rest are from the other parts of Mindanao. Their next of kin received cash assistance at P10,000 each through Barrientos.

Also recipient of this city government’s cash assistance were seven other soldiers killed in the series of firefights with MILF rebels in Payao, Zamboanga Sibugay on Oct. 20 and 24, and one TFZ soldier Cpl. Jerry R. Sacayan, who was killed in the October 25 encounter in the sea off Taluksangay, this city.

The firefights in Payao, Ipil and Kabasalan municipalities in Zamboanga Sibugay province, had nine soldiers wounded while in the Taluksangay encounter, three were injured.

All received cash assistance of P5,000 each for those with major injuries while P3,000 each for those who sustained minor injuries.

The total number of recipients are 27 soldiers killed and 27 others wounded in action for a total of P435,000.00 assistance in cash.

The relatives of the soldier slain in the Taluksangay encounter received P15,000.

Lobregat also distributed the cash assistance for 22 bombing victims amounting to P122,000.

The city government has extended similar assistance to families of soldiers and policemen killed or wounded in action during previous clashes in other parts of the region.

“We have done this even in the past and we are doing this to show our soldiers and policemen and men in uniform that the Zamboangueños appreciate their bravery, courage and gallantry and for rendering service beyond the call of duty,” Lobregat said. (PNA) LAP/Teofilo P. Garcia/utb

Comments

Comments are closed.