US, Luxembourg condole with typhoon victims; express readiness to help

October 11, 2011 10:58 pm 

MANILA, Oct. 11 — The United States on Tuesday expressed its condolences to victims of recent typhoons in the Philippines and other countries in Southeast Asia.

US State Secretary Hillary Clinton, in a statement posted on the facebook account of the US Embassy in Manila, said the US is ready to help those affected by the recent typhoons and flooding in the region.

”On behalf of President Obama and the people of the United States, I want to send my deepest condolences to all those who have lost friends, family and loved ones from the heavy rains and flooding across Southeast Asia, including in areas of Cambodia, Laos, Philippines, Thailand, and Vietnam,” the statement said.

Clinton said US embassies in the region are working with local authorities and international organizations "to assess how the US can help to countries where the impact of the flooding has been especially devastating."

"Our thoughts and prayers are with all of those across the region affected by this tragedy," she added.

Meanwhile, the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said Luxembourg’s head of state has relayed his sympathies for the typhoon victims.

The Philippines had been devastated by "Pedring" and "Quiel", with the death toll reaching more than 100 as of Tuesday.

The DFA said Grand Duke Henri relayed his sympathies through outgoing Philippine Ambassador to Belgium Enrique Manalo during his farewell call at the Royale Palace on September 28.

“Grand Duke Henri expressed his sympathies for the Filipino people in the aftermath of the widespread destruction and flooding caused by the recent Typhoon Pedring," the DFA said. (PNA)

DCT/FFC/FPV

Comments

Comments are closed.