New PRO 7 chief tells Mandaue cops to solve major crimes

October 4, 2011 9:34 pm 

CEBU CITY, Oct. 4 – Chief Supt. Marcelo Garbo, the new regional director of the Police Regional Office (PRO) 7, has asked for a list of all the unsolved major criminal cases in Mandaue City.

”I am an intelligence officer, and I will review these cases, I already ordered them to give me the listing of all crimes,” Garbo said.

Among the high-profile crimes in Mandaue City that remain unsolved are the killings of businesswoman Iris Marie Hugo Gonzales, 39, in Barangay Looc last September 16; and that of wharf owner Antonio Ouano, 69, in Barangay Guizo last July 22.

Investigators assigned to the cases have so far not showed any significant lead.

But Mandaue City Mayor Jonas Cortes said he is satisfied with the performance of the police force in the city.

Among the cases considered solved by the police were the attacks on 55-year-old businesswoman Debbie Yu and trader Nicolas Ting that separately happened in 2010. Both victims survived.

In both cases, the suspects were arrested by the police.

Garbo was at the Mandaue City Police Office (MCPO) Monday as guest of honor and speaker for the “Back to Basic” unit training for the police personnel.

”I’m not here to solve cases. My job is to pound these city directors under me. I am answerable to you the public,” Garbo said.

MCPO Director Noel Gillamac, said they already have leads to high-profile cases but are still verifying these.

Gillamac said he had tasked Supt. Jason Capoy to replace Supt. James Goforth as head of Task Force Ouano.

On the killing of Gonzales, the police, however, are still quiet about the updates of their investigation. (PNA) LAP/LAM/EB/re

Comments

Comments are closed.