Aquino wants probe on Manila Bay seawall failure

October 3, 2011 9:56 pm 

MANILA, Oct. 3 – President Benigno S. Aquino III has directed the Department of Public Works and Highways and other concerned agencies to look into why the Manila Bay seawall failed to prevent a storm surge from flooding a large portion of Roxas Boulevard and nearby areas at the height of typhoon “Pedring's” onslaught last week.

The President told DPWH Secretary Rogelio Singson in a briefing at the National Disaster and Risk Reduction Management Council (NDRRMC) in Camp Aguinaldo Sunday that he wanted the agency to collaborate with law authorities and other concerned agencies to get to the bottom of the issue in order to prevent a repeat of what had happened.

Singson concurred but said an initial probe into the failure of Manila Bay seawall showed that “changes” were made to the original design of the seawall that did not conform to regulated seawall design standards.

He said the design of the seawall, which looks like an inverted “L” had a sharp angle to the horizontal bar instead of a steady slope that would have helped ease the power of the waves directly hitting it and redirect it back to the sea.

“So, with the series of storm surges it experienced during Pedring's wrath, natuklap ito together with its concrete dockings,” Singson noted.

Singson added that the design of the seawall was outdated as its construction was based on 20 to 25 year old flood data when it should be 50 year old flood data.

“We are now seriously looking at about 50-year-old flood data because with the climate change, tides are rising (more than expected). Hindi na pwede yung old flood data,” Singson said.

“When we restore this, we will have to raise the seawall ('s height). We are now determining how much higher it would be,” he added.

Because of these findings, the President told Singson that he wanted to know who made the modifications and why the modifications were made. (PNA)

LDV/PCOO/rck/utb

Comments

Comments are closed.