Dengue cases in South Cotabato down by 67%
March 25, 2011 12:48 am
GENERAL SANTOS CITY, March 24 - Dengue cases in South Cotabato province have so far decreased by at least 67 percent as the province continues with the implementation of various countermeasures to curb the spread of the deadly disease in the area.
Dr. Rogelio Aturdido, South Cotabato health officer, said Thursday their records showed that only 86 cases of dengue have been so far confirmed in the provinces 10 towns and lone since January.
He said the decline was considered a major improvement from the 259 cases that were recorded in the province during the same period in 2010.
He attributed such accomplishment to the local governments continuing implementation of the 4-S strategy against dengue, which stands for search and destroy, self-protection measures, seek early consultation, and say no to fogging.
We owe it to the positive response and cooperation of our local residents, Aturdido said.
Last year, records showed that dengue was among the top seven leading cause of morbidity in the area, with a total incidence of 2,432 or 303 cases per 100,000 population. The figures were so far the provinces highest since 2005.
For this year, the Department of Health (DOH) noted that the province so far recorded the lowest number of confirmed cases in the region.
Dr. Aireen Biron, DOH regional malaria/dengue coordinator, said no fatalities have been so far reported in the province as a result of dengue infection. (PNA)