AFP forms task force to find missing journalist Jonas Burgos

March 22, 2011 10:31 am 

MANILA, March 21 – The Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP) said Monday it has created a task group aimed to find missing journalist Jonas Burgos.

AFP Human Rights Office (HRO) chief Col. Domingo Tutaan said they created the task group upon the recommendation of the Commission on Human Rights (CHR).

Tutaan said they received a report from CHR Commissioner Joseph Mamawag and informed AFP chief of staff Maj. Gen. Eduardo Oban Jr. about it.

“He gave me three instructions. One is to report to CHR to determine the contents of the report submitted last March 15," Oban said.

The task force is composed of a representative from the office of Inspectorate General, Provost Marshal General, Judge Advocate General’s Office and HRO.

Burgos has not been seen since April 28, 2007 when gunmen dragged him from Hapag Kainan Restaurant in Ever Gotesco Mall along Commonwealth Avenue, Quezon City, to a waiting Toyota Revo whose license plate was traced to another vehicle that was impounded last year at the Philippine Army’s 56th Infantry Battalion Camp in Doña Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan.

Tutaan said he met earlier in the day with CHR Chairperson Loretta Ann Rosales on the Burgos abduction and the alleged hazing incident of the PA’s 9th Infantry Division in Camarines Sur.

Earlier, Rosales said the Supreme Court (SC) ordered CHR to investigate Burgos' disappearance.

“In the same vein, the SC ordered the Armed Forces of the Philippines (AFP), the Philippine National Police (PNP) and the Department of Justice (DOJ) to cooperate with the investigating agency,” Rosales said.

The CHR chief said they proceeded with its investigation with diligence, thoroughness and dispatch, notwithstanding its limited financial resources and the various stonewalling of the agencies supposed to have been cooperating with it. (PNA) DCT/scs/JCA

Comments

Comments are closed.