Sudan to reopen border crossings to evacuate nationals from Libya

February 28, 2011 12:07 pm 

KHARTOUM, Feb. 28 — Sudan on Sunday decided to reopen its border crossings with Libya to facilitate return of thousands of Sudanese nationals in unrest-hit Libya.

"Interior Ministry has issued a decision to reopen the border crossings between Sudan and Libya to facilitate return of the Sudanese nationals in Libya," Sudanese Interior Ministry said in a statement.

"The authorities have embarked on implementing the decision and operation rooms have been established to evacuate the Sudanese from Libya," added the statement.

On July 1, 2010, Sudan closed its borders with Libya to prevent Darfur rebels from crossing from Libya to Sudan, the borders have remained closed since then.

The Sudanese government has so far evacuated some 1,000 Sudanese who were stranded at the Egyptian border area of al-Salum. Around 400 of them have been transported to Egyptian cities near the border with Libya while 600 others are expected to arrive in Egypt on Sunday across al-Salum.

Meanwhile, Sudanese Minister of Foreign Affairs Ali Karti stressed in a statement on Sunday Sudan's keenness on security and safety of all the Sudanese nationals in Libya, including those who belong to the Darfur rebel movements.

He said that his ministry was following the developments through its embassy in Tripoli and consulate in Benghazi and al- Kufrah to evacuate the Sudanese nationals, affirming that no incidents were reported.

Around 500,000 Sudanese live in many Libyan towns, most of them from the Darfur region which has been suffering a civil war since 2003. (PNA/Xinhua)

DCT/FFC/ebp

Comments

Comments are closed.