Cebu City taps P80.8M from calamity fund for city-wide river dredging

February 24, 2011 11:58 am 

CEBU CITY, Feb. 24 — The Cebu City Government is set to use P80.8 million of the P100-million it tapped from the city’s calamity fund for a city-wide dredging of creeks and rivers to prevent flooding in the city.

Those to be dredged include the Mahiga creek, Kinalumsan River catchment, the Estero-Parian catchment, Lahug River catchment, Basak San Nicolas creek catchment, Tagunol River catchment, Cogon Pardo creek catchment and the Bulacao River catchment.

Cebu City Mayor Michael Rama reiterated the need to dredge the rivers and creeks in the city to prevent damage caused by floods.

Department of Engineering and Public Works (DEPW) Chief Engineer Kenneth Enriquez scheduled to start the dredging project next month.

In March, they will start identifying the families who are living within the three-meter easement from the creeks and rivers.

This will be conducted by the concerned barangays, the Division for the Welfare of the Urban Poor (DWUP), and the City’s Management Information and Computer Services.

By April, the Squatters Prevention, Elimination and Encroachment Division will start issuing notices of eviction.

The removal of illegal structures will start by May and will end by June so the dredging proper can start by July.

Rama said the issue on providing relocation sites to the affected families still has to be discussed. He said, however, he prefers them to return to their provinces.

Last month, a heavy downpour flooded parts of Cebu City and Metro Cebu, prompting officials to declare a state of calamity. (PNA) DCT/FFC/EB/bh

Comments

Comments are closed.