No Filipino witness testifies in Hong Kong inquest proceedings — De Lima

February 15, 2011 9:47 am 

MANILA, Feb. 14 – Department of Justice (DOJ) Secretary Leila De Lima on Monday said that no Filipino witness will testify in the investigation being conducted by the Hong Kong government in connection with the Quirino Grandstand hostage-taking incident in August last year.

The incident claimed the lives of eight Hong Kong tourists, including the hostage-taker himself, dismissed Manila police Sr. Insp. Rolando Mendoza, in front of the Quirino Grandstand in Luneta Park, Manila on Aug. 23, 2010.

De Lima said that, at present, no one from the more than a hundred witnesses invited by the Hong Kong government has expressed willingness to appear in the inquest proceedings in Hong Kong.

The Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR) formally started on Monday its investigation into the hostage-taking incident that claimed the lives of eight of its nationals.

De Lima said that the inquest proceedings will last for 25 days.

Hence, De Lima said, there's still an opportunity if one of the witnesses changes mind and decides to appear in the inquest proceedings in Hong Kong.

De Lima added that, at present, she is still studying whether she would send a representative of the Incident Investigation and Review Committee (IIRC), which she chairs, to Hong Kong to monitor the investigation there.

Earlier, both Manila Mayor Alfredo Lim and Vice Mayor Isko Moreno maintained that they will not appear in the Hong Kong inquest proceedings, stressing that they have nothing more new things to say about the hostage-taking incident. (PNA)

DCT/PTR

Comments

Comments are closed.