Cops foil heist: 4 gunmen slain in encounter in Nueva Ecija

January 18, 2011 11:58 am 

SCIENCE CITY OF MUÑOZ, Nueva Ecija, Jan. 18 — An attempt by a heavily armed four-man robbery-holdup group to rob a prominent family here on Monday evening was foiled leading to an encounter with the city’s police that resulted in the death of all four gang members.

There were no casualties on the part of the local police operatives comprising the city’s “counter-force” against organized crime group.

Police Intelligence sources said the rob-gang members comprise the “Amihan Group” specializing on robbery-holdups in Cabanatuan City and outlying towns.

Nueva Ecija Police Provincial Director Sr. Supt. Roberto L. Aliggayu identified the four suspected holdup gang members as Alberto Quintog, 53, resident of del Pilar St. Extension; Ricardo Cutang, 29, of Jimenez St., Kapitan Pepe subdivision; and Rolando Rotol, 36, also of Jimenez St., Kapitan Pepe subdivision, all of Cabanatuan City.

The fourth suspected holdupman, who died at a health clinic, is still unidentified.

The suspects were identified through their driver’s license.

The police recovered from the slain suspects live hand-grenade, two caliber .38 revolvers, one caliber .45 pistol, one caliber .22 Magnum revolver. The police also impounded the red Kawasaki motorized tricycle with license plate No. RO 8558, with marking “Kalikid Sur.”

Recovered from the tricycle which was used by the “Amihan Group” members were two rolls of duct tape, one nylon black rope and one roll of plastic straw.

Upon receiving information of the presence in the city of the four-man gang riding in a tricycle, chief of police Supt. Jonathan A. Cabal immediately sent an elite team of operatives to monitor the group’s movements.

The police operatives on board a patrol pick-up vehicle intercepted the gangmen at Barangay Bical, this city, at around 7 p.m.

Instead of stopping when hailed by the operatives to halt, the holduppers fired at the intercepting policemen.

At this juncture, the lawmen fired back. After a few minutes of exchange of gunfire, the beleaguered gunmen were subdued with three of them killed on the spot.

A fourth suspect, who sustained serious injuries, was brought to a nearby health clinic for treatment but was pronounced dead by the attending physician. (PNA)



Comments are closed.