Commuter groups slam MRT fare hike

September 8, 2010 6:37 am 

MANILA, Sept. 7 — The National Council for Commuters Protection slammed the proposed fare hike of Metro Rail Transit (MRT).

NCCP President Elvira Medina said the government cannot say that the government can no longer support subsidizing for a basic service such as MRT because the funds sourced out for MRT and other railways come from national revenues, and MRT is being used only by Metro Manila residents.

"There should be an allocation for that, we are taxpayers," she said.

The MRT may hike its fares from its maximum of P15 to as high as P44, which Medina stressed could put a lot of burden to an ordinary Juan dela Cruz.

MRT fares are currently being subsidized by the government at a cost of P45 per passenger. The MRT fare would then be at P60 per person sans the government's share.

Riles Laan sa Sambayanan (RILES) Network are questioning the government’s plan to cut its subsidies to the MRT, considered a “basic social service."

Riles Laan sa Sambayanan (RILES) Network joined the call to junk the move, saying the government should brush over its contract with MRT operators if there are “irregularities" instead of cutting subsidies.

Previously, the Kilusang Mayo Uno and Anakpawis partylist conducted a signature drive against fare hike at the MRT Cubao (southbound) station in Quezon City. (PNA)

DCT/MPC

Comments

Comments are closed.