RP in mourning for 8 dead HK Chinese hostages

August 25, 2010 10:17 am 

MANILA, Aug. 25 — The death of eight Hongkong Chinese in Monday’s hostage-taking incident in Manila is “a great loss to the peoples of Hong Kong and the Philippines,” the Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA) said, quoting a presidential proclamation on the tragedy.

The deaths are commemorated by Filipinos here and abroad with the declaration of Wednesday, August 25, a national day of mourning.

Proclamation No. 23 of President Benigno S. Aquino III instructs "all public institutions in the country and Philippine embassies and foreign missions to lower the Philippine Flag at half-mast today".

The proclamation said these are expressions of ”solidarity with the people of Hong Kong Special Administrative Region (HKSAR)" which lost eight lives from the hostage-taking incident in Manila on August 23.

“These deaths are a great loss to the peoples of Hong Kong and the Philippines, and call for the most solemn commemoration and respect at a time of grief for our two peoples,” the proclamation said.

DFA itself had already lowered its Philippine Flag at half-mast on Tuesday, ahead of the proclamation. (PNA).

LDV/GJB

Comments

Comments are closed.