Palace assures efforts on fair news dissemination

August 2, 2010 11:43 am 

MANILA, August 2 — Malacanang will fix its communication process to douse perceptions that the some Palace officials are giving undue news scoops to any particular private media entity.

"We'll fix this process – there must be a level playing field," Communications Group official Secretary Herminio "Sonny" Coloma assured on Monday.

He gave this assurance after Sec. Edwin Lacierda drew flack last week for reportedly confirming to ABS-CBN approval and issuance of Memorandum Circular 2 which extends to Oct. 31 this year the tenure of non-Career Executive Service Officials (CESOs) in government.

Coloma said Malacanang issued MC 2 on Thursday night.

Observers noted Lacierda should have broken the story to either Malacanang Press Corps or government's media entities.

They believe doing so would have spared Malacanang from criticism that it favored ABS-CBN over other media entities, including those belonging to government.

Coloma assured Malacanang will disseminate its news as fair as possible.

"There must be no perception about favoritism," he said.

When asked about MC 2, Coloma said he declined to give further details on its status but he quickly stressed that the order adheres to the principle that public service musn't be interrupted.

In early July 2010, Malacanang issued MC 1 extending until July 31 this year tenure of non-CESOs and government contractual personnel as well. The issuance of MC 2, however, extended the terms of office of non-CESOs until October 31 and, in the case employees hired on a contractual arrangement until December 31. (PNA)

V3/CJT/mec

Comments

Comments are closed.