(Update): ‘Basyang’ death toll now at 65

July 18, 2010 11:50 am 

MANILA, July 17 — The National Disaster Coordinating Council (NDCC) said on Saturday afternoon the number of deaths attributed to the fury of typhoon "Basyang" has increased to 65 people as reports from its field offices continue to trickle in.

The latest death toll, based on a 3 p.m. NDCC tally, was 12 higher from its 5 a.m. report.

Thirty-eight of the deaths were recorded in Southern Tagalog, followed by Central Luzon with 16, and Bicol Region with 11.

Eighty-seven people remain missing, including 47 from the Bicol Region. Thirty others have been reported injured.

Meanwhile, at least 46,647 families or 231,620 persons were reported to have been affected by Basyang. However, only 519 families or 2,656 persons are still in evacuation centers where they are attended by relief workers.

At least P1.6 million worth of assistance had so far been extended by various government agencies to the victims, the NDCC said.

The number of destroyed houses stood at 3,266, while 24,504 others were partially damaged.

Damage to agriculture and infrastructure facilities were placed at P73.4 million and P144.6 million, respectively.

The NDCC said it expects the figures to increase as Rapid Damage and Needs Assessment teams continue to make their rounds in the affected areas. (PNA) scs/VR

Comments

Comments are closed.