PNP to assign 70 policemen-violators of gun ban to Maguindanao

June 10, 2010 8:07 pm 

MANILA, June 10 – Some 70 policemen, who were found violating the Commission on Elections (Comelec)-imposed nationwide total gun during the election period, will be assigned to Maguindanao province by the Philippine National Police (PNP) high command.

PNP spokesman Chief Supt. Leonardo Espina said the transfer of assignment for the 70 policemen was ordered by PNP chief Director General Jesus Verzosa.

”That’s the order of the chief PNP. It’s one of the directives imposed by the chief PNP,” said Espina, noting the lack of police personnel in Maguindanao following the relief last year of the entire provincial police force after the gruesome massacre of at least 57 civilians and media practitioners in Ampatuan town.

”We lack more or less 200 personnel in Maguindanao,” said Espina.

Espina said that a total of 108 policemen were among the 3,049 arrested violators of the Comelec-imposed nationwide gun ban since Jan. 10. However, only 70 of the policemen-violators will be deployed to Maguindanao soon.

According to Espina, the transfer of assignments was presently being processed while some of the policemen-violators were undergoing retraining.

”We are observing administrative process so that there will be no technicalities which may lead to dismissal if you don’t follow. Due process will be observed by the investigators,” said Espina.

The PNP spokesman said the chief PNP was giving one month to resolve one case. (PNA)

DCT/RMA/MM

Comments

Comments are closed.