Enrile not seeking Senate presidency

May 21, 2010 8:18 pm 

By Jelly F. Musico

MANILA, May 21 – Senate President Juan Ponce Enrile has admitted that he is not seeking the Senate top post but opens option if majority of his colleagues will ask him to keep the presidency.

”If the members of the Senate would ask me to continue, then I leave to that. If not, I am ready to transfer the position to whoever has the numbers,” Enrile said in an interview with Ricky Carandang over cable channel ANC last Thursday night.

”If they want to talk to me and propose a combination of numbers, then maybe, I will sit down with them and see if we can achieve anything,” he said.

Enrile clarified that he just accepted the position when it was offered to him late last year following a brewing coup that forced former Senate president Manny Villar to resign.

” Although some have tried to contact me and I have not met anyone except one time Greg Honasan and Tito Sotto saw me and we discussed the possibility but I told them you are free to look after your own interest and make your own decisions as far as leadership of the Senate is concerned,” Enrile said.

Senator Miriam Defensor-Santiago has said Villar is interested of regaining the Senate presidency but Enrile has doubted the chances of Villar of getting the needed 13 votes.

”At the moment, no one has the numbers. It’s going to be anybody’s game,” Enrile said.

So far, Villar has definite ally from Allan Cayetano, Pia Cayetano, Loren Legarda, Joker Arroyo and Miriam Defensor-Santiago.

On the other hand, former senator Franklin Drilon, who is being tapped by the Liberal Party to run for Senate president, will have Ralph Recto, Kiko Pangilinan and neophyte senator Teofisto Guingona III.

Although Bongbong Marcos ran as guest candidate of Nacionalista Party, the son of former strongman Ferdinand Marcos will mostly go as independent as well as Serge Osmena and Tito Sotto. (PNA) RMA/jfm

Comments

Comments are closed.