DepEd grants summer jobs for students

April 18, 2010 11:38 am 

MANILA, April 18 — The Department of Education (DepEd) has hired 150 students who need to earn during summer to pursue their studies under the Special Program for the Employment of Students (SPES).

DepEd Secretary Mona Valisno expressed her appreciation to the SPES project, saying that the summer job will give the students a sense of personal responsibility where they can use their free time more productively by performing office works.

“This is their best bet for summer, a sort of on- the-job training for 40 days which could give them a good head start,” said Valisno.

This year, under Valisno’s leadership, the department has stepped up the implementation of the SPES by allocating about P1.6752 million to qualified students.

The selected students will be paid minimum daily wage, 60 percent of which will be shouldered by DepEd and the remaining 40 percent by DOLE.

Atty. Ernesto Sotto Jr. of DepEd’s Center for Students and Co-Curricular Affairs (CSCA) said all the applicants were screened based on complete requirements set by law.

“The final selection was based on the applicants’ qualifications, fitness, need and skills to match the requirements of the various DepEd offices,” Sotto explained.

SPES trainees started reporting to their respective offices last April 5.

The SPES is an annual work-appreciation program under Republic Act 9547 titled “An Act Strengthening and Expanding the Coverage of the Special Program for the Employment of Students, an act to help poor but deserving students pursue their education by encouraging their employment during summer and/or Christmas vacations.”

“The students were assigned to offices where there shall be need for or aligned with their courses. In general, the assignments included clerical works and coordinative tasks,” added Sotto.

For example, students taking courses in line with Accounting and Finance were assigned to the Accounting and Cash and Budget Divisions.

IT students were assigned in offices where advance computer-related skills such as programming and designing are useful.

“At the end of their engagement with DepEd, these trainees are expected to have learned basic office operation, office decorum and other skills which they need in the future” Valisno stressed.

The SPES was enacted on February 6, 1992. It was amended last year when President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo signed R.A. 9547 into law.

It is a joint undertaking led by the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE), with the Department of Education (DepEd), Commission on Higher Education (CHED), Department of Budget and Management (DBM), Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD), Department of Finance (DOF) and local government units nationwide.

Under the new SPES law, applicants must at least be 15 but not more than 25 years old, the combined annual net income after tax of both parents should be P36,000 or less, and at least obtained an average passing grade during the last school term attended. Out-of-school youths should possess skills necessary in office setting. (PNA)

LDV/HCT

Comments

One Response to “DepEd grants summer jobs for students”

  1. Apple Grace Barnuevo on April 26th, 2010 1:19 pm

    Gud day!

    I would like to ask if can i still for the said program? I am very much interested to do so and so eager to learn new things.. I would also like to know the list of requirements?