Quake-hit Mexican state needs 5,000 temporary homes: governor

April 8, 2010 11:02 am 

MEXICO CITY, April 8 — A total of 5,000 families lost their homes due to the magnitude-7.2 quake on Sunday in northern Mexican state Baja California, the state's governor told broadcasters on Wednesday.

"We need help in getting hold of tents, because many of these people are going to live in emergency shelters for several weeks while we build new homes for more than 5,000 families in need," Jose Guadalupe Osuna Millan said, adding that he had already begun receiving help promised by the National Governors Convention (Conago), an organization for Mexican local authorities. Two people died on Sunday after the tremor and 233 people were injured.

"Hundreds and thousands of tons of solidarity is going to reach us from the Mexican people, so we will need to administer it so that there is no excess," he said.

He said that there were three collection centers in his state, spread across the cities of Tijuana and Ensenada. He added that aid had arrived from the states of Sonora, Chihuahua, Queretaro an Sinaloa.

Osuna also said that regional authorities had begun a detailed survey of those affected adding that they were mostly in four municipalities out of 11 in the Mexicali Valley, which borders on U.S. state California.

The Scientific Research and Higher Studies Center issued on Wednesday a report saying that there had been 130 aftershocks since Sunday's quake. Many residents of the city of Mexicali are sleeping outside their homes or in barren lots fearing that aftershocks will bring down homes made vulnerable by the initial quake.

On Monday, Osuna said that Sunday's quake was the worst on record in the state. The last strong quake was 1940's magnitude 7.1. (PNA/Xinhua)

ALM/ebp

Comments

Comments are closed.