Two Filipino crewmen of ill-fated 'M/V Kea' missing after all

April 5, 2010 10:33 pm 

By Gloria Jane Baylon

MANILA, April 5 — The Department of Foreign Affairs today confirmed that the two missing crewmen of the ill-fated “M/V Kea” that sank in stormy weather off the coast of Spain last week were Filipinos, clarifying its earlier report that all 19 Filipinos aboard were safe.

Last week, DFA reported that “all 19 Filipinos were rescued and safe.” But it also mentioned that two more members of the multinational crew were missing.

Later, however, DFA said the two missing crewmen were Filipinos and that rescue operations were ongoing. “Their identities are being withheld until their families have been informed,” DFA said in a clarificatory statement.

DFA also said that the Philippine embassy in Madrid reported that 15 of the rescued seafarers were expected to be released from a hospital in Spain over the weekend and their repatriation to Manila was underway. They were treated for bruises and swelling of the muscles but their condition was reportedly “not serious.”

Two crewmen were expected to arrive in Rotterdam in Holland after their rescue by another vessel, the “MV Sapphire.”

The “M/V Kea,” a Barbados-registered cargo vessel, was carrying ammonium nitrate when it sank off Cape Villano in Galicia, Spain on March 30. It left Russia for the State of Columbia in the U.S. (PNA)

RMA/GJB

Comments

Comments are closed.