LP asks Comelec to stop NPO from printing ballots with Acosta's name

March 10, 2010 10:35 pm 

MANILA, March 10 — Liberal Party standard-bearer Benigno “Noynoy” Aquino III asked the Commission on Elections (Comelec) on Tuesday to order the National Printing Office (NPO) to stop printing the name of disqualified Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL) presidential candidate Vetallano Acosta in the official ballots for the May 10, 2010 polls.

With this, the LP presidential aspirant is also asking the poll body to replace those ballots that were earlier printed with Acosta’s name on them.

In his eight-page motion, Aquino, through his lawyer, Atty. Sixto Brillantes, said the poll body should remove the name of the former KBL standard-bearer from the ballot since he had been declared a nuisance candidate.

“By virtue of the said en banc resolution declaring Acosta a nuisance candidate, there is no legal and valid reason for his name to appear in the official ballots being printed by the NPO,” part of the motion read.

It added, “In order to give effect to the Commission resolution declaring Acosta a non-candidate for being a nuisance, justice and fairness demands that his name should not be printed in the official ballots, otherwise, the Commission en banc resolution declaring Acosta a nuisance candidate would turn out to be a useless and toothless verdict.”

Acosta was declared a nuisance candidate by the Commission last March 4.

Earlier, Comelec Commissioner Gregorio Larrazabal had said they could not anymore remove Acosta’s name in the ballots since they have already printed millions of copies of it.

He added that it would be very costly and time consuming if they will reprint the ballots, since they need to buy paper, which is going to be imported from Canada, and that they need to reconfigure the printing machines. (PNA)

scs/FGP/utb

Comments

Comments are closed.