Quick count no longer needed in May 10 polls — Comelec

March 3, 2010 10:23 pm 

MANILA, March 3 — The Commission on Elections (Comelec) said on Wednesday that parallel quick count is no longer needed in the May 10, 2010 national and local polls.

Comelec spokesman James Jimenez explained that since they will implement the automated election system (AES) for the forthcoming polls, the so-called quick count will not be necessary.

“Hindi na magiging applicable (ang quick count), kasi ano pa ang bibilis sa official count ngayon?" (Quick count is no longer applicable since the election is already automated), Jimenez said after a meeting with officials of broadcast entities Wednesday morning.

In past elections coverage, television networks had been conducting quick count operations to update the public on the election results, using a “partial and unofficial” count.

Under the AES, results at the close of the 7 a.m.-6 p.m. voting time will immediately and simultaneously be transmitted electronically to the national, provincial, municipal board of canvassers as well as the Kapisanan ng mga Brodkaster sa Pilipinas (KBP).

Likewise, the Comelec official said that the official results will be available at the Comelec website [www.comelec.gov.ph] in real time.

Aside from getting rid of the quick count, Jimenez said the AES will also be able to address the issue of “trending.”

Critics claimed that trending had been used in setting the mindset of the public on who would win the elections.

“Ngayon, ang target natin is more or less lahat sabay-sabay (maglabas ng result). So, kung lahat ng resulta sabay-sabay na ilalabas, wala na yung pangamba ng trending,” he stressed. (PNA) scs/FGP/utb

Comments

Comments are closed.