Today in History

January 16, 2010 12:14 pm 

MANILA, Jan. 16 –On January 16, 1981, the Lung Center of the Philippines which provides health care specifically on lung and pulmonary diseases, was established in Quezon City by President Ferdinand E. Marcos under Presidential Decree No. 1823.

On this same day in 1899, the members of the first Philippine Commission were appointed by President William McKinley. Also known as the Schurman Commission, it was composed of Jacob Schurman as chairman and George Dewey, Elwell Otis, Dean Worcester, and Charles Denby as members.

The commission recommended the establishment of a civil government, a bicameral legislature, and a public school system. Its report became the basis for the creation of the second Philippine Commission on July 4, 1901, headed by William Howard Taft.

Also on January 16, 1973, the Integrated Bar of the Philippines was created through the approval of a Supreme Court resolution. (PNA)

scs/SDT/jsd

Comments

Comments are closed.