Marcos urges NP presidential bet to beef up own security

January 11, 2010 10:52 pm 

MANILA, Jan. 11 — Alarmed over the killing of four candidates who were supposed to run for local posts in the May elections under the Nacionalista Party (NP), Ilocos Norte Rep. Ferdinand "Bongbong" Marcos Jr. on Monday said security for the party's standard bearer must be intensified.

Marcos, who is seeking senatorial seat under the NP banner, said the life of Sen. Manny Villar could be in danger being one of the frontrunners in the presidential elections in May.

"We cannot discount the possibility of an assassination attempt on Villar especially that NP candidates are becoming a favorite target to election-related violence," he said.

The Ilocos Norte solon said the killing of four local NP candidates last week "may just be a preview of things to come in the May elections."

The four were identified as retired policeman Julio Equivas, a candidate for councilor in Casirugan, Sorsogon; Cipriano Albores, a former councilman of Barangay Kinangan in Malita, Davao del Sur and organizer of the Manny Villar for President Movement in the province; Wilbert Origines, barangay leaders’ president and candidate for vice-mayor in Taganaan, Surigao del Norte; and Joen Canete, a candidate for councilor in Dingras, Ilocos Norte.

Marcos said he could not help but fear of Villar’s life especially that "he (Villar) is fast catching up with Sen. Benigno ‘Noynoy’ Aquino III in the presidential surveys."

"The only way to stop Villar is through assassination. That’s why he needs more security," he said.

Marcos urged the NP standard bearer to get more security escorts from the police and military to guard him when travelling anywhere in the country, especially in 558 election hotspots identified by the authorities. (PNA)

DCT/LGI

Comments

Comments are closed.