Family beneficiaries of DSWD's 4Ps reach million mark — Cabral

December 19, 2009 1:32 pm 

MANILA, Dec, 19 — The Department of Social Welfare and Development (DSWD) has announced that the number of family beneficiaries of its “Pantawid Pamilyang Pilipino Program” (4Ps) has now reached the one-million mark.

DSWD Secretary Esperanza I. Cabral said this milestone was achieved late last month.

“This is a significant milestone for the government as the 4Ps now cover one million marginalized families nationwide. This is in accordance with the directive of President Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo,” she stressed.

Secretary Cabral said the latest batch of new beneficiaries will start receiving cash grants before the end of December 2009.

At present, 700,000 poor households are already benefiting from the 4Ps program, she added.

The 4Ps is a poverty reduction and social development program that provides conditional cash transfer (CCT) grant of as much as P1,400 to poor households to improve their health, nutrition and education, particularly children aged 0-14 years old.

It is an adaptation of CCT programs in Latin American countries where experience has shown that investment in human capital vastly improves a country’s chances of reducing poverty.

Grantees of this program are vetted and monitored very carefully by the DSWD to insure that the money will be used for feeding and schooling purposes only.

If the beneficiary fails to comply with this edict, he or she is automatically removed from the DSWD’s 4P roster. (PNA) scs/PFN

Comments

Comments are closed.