Remains of UNTV journalist in Maguindanao massacre brought to QC

December 4, 2009 11:02 pm 

MANILA, Dec. 4 – The remains of one of the journalists in last week’s Maguindanao Massacre was brought on Friday afternoon to his office on EDSA, Diliman, Quezon City.

"One voice, one cry: Justice!" cried the sympathizers who recited this chant as they gathered along the stretch of Epifanio delos Santos Avenue (EDSA) in front of private broadcaster UNTV-37 television station building in Barangay Philam, Quezon City on Friday afternoon.

The sympathizers waited for the arrival of the remains of UNTV-37 journalist Daniel Tiamzon, who was among the 30 mediamen killed in last month's Maguindanao massacre.

Tiamzon's funeral cortege stopped in front of the UNTV building at about 2:50 p.m. Following a brief program in front of the UNTV building, the cortege then proceeded to the Loyola Chapel in Guadalupe, Makati City.

Led by station manager Jay Sonza, sympathizers raised clenched fists and chanted, "Isang tinig isang sigaw, Katarungan!" (One voice for justice)!

“Let us get rid of his killers, let's send them to jail," National Press Club president Benny Antiporda said.

Many sympathizers lighted candles and displayed streamers calling for justice for Tiamzon, whose remains arrived in Manila from General Santos City Friday noon.

Justice for the Maguindanao massacre victims)!" read one streamer. "Stop media killings, reads another.

A stage was set in front of the UNTV studios where Sonza thanked the sympathizers for their support for Tiamzon and his famiy. "Very satanic, if not demonic," Sonza said of the Nov. 23 massacre.

Meanwhile, Quezon City leaders and school authorities on Friday asked the Commission on Elections (COMELEC) to place Maguindanao under COMELEC control for the coming May 2010 national elections so that lives of many innocent civilians, including teachers, will be protected.

The appeal was made by officials of the Philippine National Association of School Securities Organization (PHILNASSO), led by its president Jose Diño, also a director of the National Tobacco Administration (NTA).

Diño said in a telephone interview that they fear that the lives of civilians in Maguindanao province would be in danger and in jeopardy. (PNA) RMA/JCA

Comments

One Response to “Remains of UNTV journalist in Maguindanao massacre brought to QC”

  1. Translation Chicago on December 5th, 2009 2:56 pm

    Grabe na ito! Pero mabuti naman at nasa kamay na ng mga hustisya ang mga suspect. Isa pa ring palaisipan para sa akin ang mga ganitong pangyayari. Sa pagkakaalam ko, tinuruan tayo ng ating mga ninuno ng mabuting asal, pakikipagkapwa tao at bayanihan. Sa pagkakaalam ko din ay tinuruan tayo na magkaroon ng takot at respeto sa Diyos. Bakit patuloy pa din ang ganito?