Meningitis outbreak kills 4 in northeastern Brazil

October 27, 2009 11:13 pm 

BRASILIA, Oct. 28 — An outbreak of meningitis type C resulted in four deaths in the Bahia state of northeastern Brazil, local health secretary Messias Boaventura said Tuesday.

Four other people have been hospitalized, and two of them are confirmed to have been infected.

Boaventura said the victims attended a party in Trancoso of Bahia on Oct. 18 and did not know each other.

Health officials said an ambulance would be kept at the Trancoso health center to respond to emergencies and prevent the spreading of the disease.

Trancoso's central laboratory will also work on a continuous basis to receive and process the biological samples to diagnose disease.

So far this year, Bahia has recorded 770 cases of meningitis, which are 60 percent more than the number identified last year. (PNA/Xinhua)

DCT/ebp

Comments

Comments are closed.