Cops file attempted kidnapping raps vs 5 suspected bombers

September 11, 2009 11:04 am 

GENERAL SANTOS CITY, Sept 11 – Police authorities in South Cotabato have filed attempted kidnapping charges against five suspected bombers who were arrested in Tantangan town last Wednesday for their alleged involvement in the failed abduction of three Korean nationals in Sto. Niño town last Aug. 21.

Chief Insp. Carlos Hallado, Sto. Niño police chief, said Friday that they included suspects Haji Ting Usman, Din Bansel, Sammy Akang, Jahir Mindal Malida and Ismael Tabidtig Ganda in a kidnapping complaint they filed late last month in connection with the foiled kidnapping of the Koreans.

“Three of them were positively identified by our witnesses as among those who directly participated in the kidnapping attempt,” Hallado said.

He said three of the suspects reportedly matched with the cartographic sketches that they earlier released.

The Sto. Niño police earlier filed charges of attempted kidnapping, slight illegal detention and illegal possession of firearms and explosives against several unidentified suspects who tried to seize three Korean nationals at the Signature Place, a small hotel located along the national highway in Sto. Niño town in South Cotabato.

The three targets were reportedly investors of GRTI, a Korean company developing palm oil plantations in Sultan Kudarat province.

But local police operatives foiled the kidnapping attempt after they managed to respond to the scene before the kidnappers located their targets. Two suspected kidnappers were later killed in the ensuing firefight with the policemen.

The five suspects were arrested by combined police elements in a dawn raid last Wednesday at their alleged safehouse in Purok Tagumpay of Barangay Poblacion in Tantangan, South Cotabato.

One of them had been charged with multiple frustrated murder and attempted murder with case numbers 551-2007 and 552-2007 filed at the sala of Regional Trial Court Branch 23 Judge Rogelio Narisma in connection with a recent bombing incident in Kidapawan City.

Chief Supt. Felicisimo Khu, Region 12 deputy police director, said that based on the evidences that they have gathered, it was possible that the five suspects were members of a bigger armed group or criminal gang in the area.

“We already alerted all our security units because there might be attempts to rescue them later,” said Khu, who heads the regional police’s joint anti-kidnapping Task Force 12-A.

Khu said they also provided security to some of the witnesses to protect them from possible retribution from the suspects’ comrades.(PNA)

RMA/AVE

Comments

Comments are closed.