U.S. to spend additional 30 million dollars for border security

August 11, 2009 10:04 pm 

HOUSTON, Aug. 12 — U.S. Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano announced on Tuesday that an additional 30 million U.S. dollars will be spent along the U.S.-Mexico border to support security measures.

The money will go to Operation Stonegarden and will be used to deter violence, enforce immigration law and combat illegal trafficking of humans and drugs along the southwestern border, Napolitano said at a conference in the border city of El Paso, Texas, according to local media reports.

The funds, which supplement the 60 million U.S. dollars in grants announced by Napolitano in June, will go to the U.S. border states of Texas, California, Arizona and New Mexico.

"Operation Stonegarden grants direct critical funding to state, local and tribal law enforcement operations across the country," Napolitano said. "I am proud to announce an additional 30 million dollars in funding specifically for the southwestern states to ensure our first responders are equipped with the resources they need to confront the complex and dynamic challenges that exist along our southern border."

Napolitano said the United States and Mexico are "winning" the war against drug cartels that operate across the U.S.-Mexico border. She highlighted a number of drug and weapons seizures as evidence that the war against border drug cartels was successful.

So far this year, the U.S. law enforcement officers have seized one million kilograms of drugs, more than 95,000 rounds of ammunition and more than 500 assault rifles and handguns, she said.

Napolitano also offered support for the government of Mexican President Felipe Calderon. "We have a strong partner in President Calderon," she said. "We are fighting this fight together with the government of Mexico." (PNA/Xinhua)

ALM/ebp

Comments

Comments are closed.