Pagasa warns ships of rough seas due to storm "Kiko"

August 6, 2009 9:21 am 

MANILA, Aug 6 – The Philippine Atmospheric Geophysical and Astronomical Services Administration (Pagasa) warned shipping industry and residents along coasts of rough sea conditions and big waves due to tropical storm "Kiko.

As of 4 p.m. Kiko was spotted 450 kms Northeast of Basco, Batanes with winds of 140 kilometers per hour near the center and gustiness of up to 170 kph.It intensified further and now moving westward at 22 kph, closer to Northern Taiwan.

"Batanes, Babuyan and Calayan Group of Islands will experience rains and gusty winds while the rest of Luzon and western visayas will experience monsoon rains," Nathaniel Cruz, Pagasa deputy director said.

Signal number 1 has been raised over Batanes group of Islands, Babuyan group of Islands and Calayan group of Islands.

The rest of Visayas will have cloudy skies with scattered rainshowers and thunderstorms.

Pagasa advised residents in low lying areas and near mountain slopes to be vigilant against possible flashfloods and landslides.

Even as no storm warning signal is raised in Metro Manila, enhanced southwest monsoon dumped rains in the Metro prompting authorities to suspend classes in elementary levels.

Rains will continue until Friday, and most likely until the weekend, Cruz said.

Kiko is moving towards Taiwan and will not make a landfall in Philippines, Cruz said.

Pagasa also advised shipping industry against rough sea conditions especially over Western Visayas, Mindoro, and parts of Western & Southern Luzon-Metro Manila-Bicol region.

"Fishing boats and other small seacraft are advised not to venture out into the sea while larger sea vessel are alerted against big waves," it said.

The Philippine Coastguard reported that a cargo vessel with three officers and seven crew members sank off the vicinity of Calbayog, Western Samar on Monday at about 9:20 a.m.

Two were rescued but 2nd Engr. Joseph Gelasio O. Labra was found unconscious at the main deck by other crew members. He was immediately rushed to Leyte Baptist Hospital but pronounced dead on arrival. (PNA)



Comments are closed.