Comelec set to resolve Pampanga gubernatorial dispute by September

August 6, 2009 9:21 am 

MANILA, August 6 — The election protest filed by Lilia Pineda against Pampanga Governor Eduardo Panlilio in the 2007 gubernatorial race is set to be resolved next month.

According to Comelec Chairman Jose Melo he has already given instructions to the commission's second division to come up with a decision as soon as possible.

“I told them it must be finished already within one and a half months yung pagbibilang (specifically the counting). Tapusin agad yan dapat (We have to do it fast),” he said.

Meanwhile, Comelec second division chairman Commissioner Nicodemo Ferrer said that they want to resolve the case immediately.

The poll body has already issued an order to bring the 4,688 ballot boxes from Pampanga’s 20 towns and one city to the Comelec head office at the Palacio del Gobernador in Intramuros, Manila last Monday.

“Hinihintay na lang natin yung order (We are awaiting the order) from the Supreme Court denying the appeal of Governor Panlilio so that our people there (in Pampanga) can move already,” Ferrer said.

On July 28, the Supreme Court denied the motion for reconsideration of Panlilio’s camp thus affirming its July 17 14-page resolution lifting the status quo order it issued against the recount last year.

Pineda previously filed a petition for recount against the win of the priest-turned-politician in the May 2007 polls accusing the latter of massive cheating.

Panlilio only won by 1,147 votes against Pineda and then incumbent Governor Mark Lapid.

Ferrer revealed that they have already reserved Palacio del Gobernador’s 3rd and 7th floor where they will store the ballot boxes and work station for the revision committees.

The Comelec second division has adjusted the usual number of committees from four to 21 to speed up the process.(PNA) /V3/FGP/utb/

Comments

Comments are closed.