Palace respects private funeral for former President Aquino

August 1, 2009 10:55 am 

MANILA, August 1 – Malacañang this afternoon said it respects the decision of the Aquino family to have a private funeral for former President Corazon C. Aquino.

"We respect their decision. We are ready to extend all necessary services of the government, but we defer to the Aquino family's plans," said Acting Executive Secretary Gabriel Claudio.

Claudio said Malacañang had been coordinating with the members of the Aquino family through their publicist former Press Undersecretary Lourdes “Deedee” Siytangco regarding any form of help Malacañang can extend for Mrs. Aquino's funeral.

"We will just give them the support, like honor guards and police forces for security and order during the funeral." he said.

President Arroyo, who is on a working visit in the US, signed Proclamation 1850 declaring a 10-day period of national mourning for the late president.

In a briefing at the Jose Cojuangco Building in Makati City, Siytangco said the public could visit the late president’s wake to be held at the school gymnasium starting 5 p.m. Saturday until Monday morning.

However, the two-day viewing will be closed for three hours from 4 a.m. to 7 a.m. on Sunday and Monday to give way to maintenance work. (PNA)

RMA/JCA

Comments

Comments are closed.