Rogue MILF rebels wage atrocities anew in Maguindanao

June 7, 2009 9:13 am 

MANILA, June 6 — Two explosions rocked a village in Datu Saudi Ampatuan town in Maguindanao early Saturday morning, in what the military said was part of the efforts of rogue Moro Islamic Liberation Front (MILF) rebels to disrupt an ongoing campaign against them by government forces.

Lt. Col. Jonathan Ponce, the Philippine Army's 6th Infantry Division spokesman, reported that the first improvised bomb exploded at around 5:20 a.m. at Lower Salvo village. About 10 minutes later, another bomb went off just some 75 meters away in the same village.

“The sites of the explosions were about 10 meters away from the roadside,” said Ponce, adding it was fortunate that no one was killed or injured in both attacks.

Ponce blamed the renegade MILF rebels as behind the bombings. Government forces have been pursuing the rogue rebels since August last year for a series of atrocities in central Mindanao that claimed the lives of a number of both soldiers and civilians.

Last Wednesday, the rebels also detonated a bomb near a military detachment in Datu Unsay town, also in Maguindanao, resulting in the death of a soldier and a civilian and wounding of several other soldiers.

The victims were washing their clothes at a creek when they were attacked.

“They are carrying out such attacks because this is their only way of disrupting our operations. We have been hitting their main camps,” said Ponce of the rogue rebels.

Ponce said the government troops have seized a camp of the rogue rebels at Guindulungan town, also in Maguindanao, site of last Thursday’s fighting which resulted in the death of at least nine rebels and wounding of five soldiers.

“We already overran their camp…We got their main camp. We got a lot of IEDs there,” said Ponce. (PNA) scs/VR

Comments

Comments are closed.