DOLE to lead three-day Independence Day job fair

May 29, 2009 1:46 pm 

MANILA, May 29 — Following the successful Labor Day job fair that hired 10,000 workers on the spot last May 1, the Department of Labor and Employment (DOLE) will conduct a bigger three-day nationwide job and livelihood fair as part of the observance of Independence Day on June 12, 2009.

Labor and Employment Secretary Marianito D. Roque said the Kalayaan 2009 Mega Job and Livelihood Fair would be held simultaneously in 19 cities nationwide on June 12, 13, and 14 to mark the country's celebration of Independence Day this year.

About 1,000 employers from the private and government sectors including those from the overseas recruitment industry would participate in the mega event.

Roque, thus, urged jobseekers to register this early for the Kalayaan job fair via the PhilJobnet system as this will give them the opportunity to be prioritized by firms and agencies that would participate in the three-day job fair.

He said that registering with the system at http://phil-job.net would enable the job fair participating private firms and government agencies to pre-screen applicants and subsequently hasten the selection and on the spot hiring of those who are qualified during the three-day mega event.

He stressed that it would be advantageous for jobseekers to register with PhilJobNet as early as possible as some participating firms may start to hire applicants prior to the actual job fair.

For more information, interested applicants may use SMS. Text DOLE ON using Globe or TM cell phones and send to 2910.

The DOLE Chief said that participating private firms and government agencies as well would offer over 170,000 vacancies that include opportunities for overseas employment, thereby, making the three-day job fair the biggest, so far.

He said the first day of the job fair on June 12 would feature government agencies offering 50,000 vacancies especially for professionals and other jobseekers with civil service eligibility.

The second day of the job fair on June 13 would feature private local companies offering some 70,000. The following day, June 14, would feature recruitment agencies offering some 50,000 sea-based and land-based overseas employment.

Roque also said that government agencies nationwide would at the same time award about 30,000 emergency jobs to displaced and other unemployed workers under the emergency employment program of President Gloria Macapagal Arroyo.

Under the program, local government units and other government offices including government-owned corporations and state schools at the provincial and regional levels will employ temporary workers in accordance with the President's Executive Order No. 782.

The order provides for the temporary filling up of vacancies in the government using 1.5 percent of a government agency's maintenance and other operating expenses (MOOE).

Meanwhile, the bicameral Commission on Appointments (CA) confirmed Roque's appointment as Labor and Employment Secretary during Wednesday's hearing, which was considered one of the fastest and unopposed confirmation hearings that the CA has conducted.

Endorsed by chairman of the CA labor committee Lanao del Norte Rep. Abdullah D. Dimaporo, Roque is an advocate of Filipino workers welfare. He had helped developed the OFW employment standards and initiated the provision of welfare services for OFWs onsite.

He is also adept in crisis management and dispute resolution having successfully managed mass evacuation, repatriation and negotiation for detained OFWs. He is also an expert in the development of employment programs including the generation of niche deployment opportunities. (PNA) V3/OPS/ssc

Comments

Comments are closed.