Ex-Dagupan police chief linked to shabu lab committed in La Union jail

May 28, 2009 1:25 pm 

By Leonardo V. Micua

BAUANG, La Union, May 28 — Former Dagupan City Chief of Police Supt. Dionicio Borromeo, who was among the accused in connection with the establishment and operation of a shabu laboratory in Naguilian, La Union, was committed Thursday noon at the La Union Provincial Jail.

That was minutes after he was presented on Thursday morning at 11:18 a.m before the sala of Regional Trial Court (RTC) Judge Rose Mary R. Molina-Alim of Branch 33, who issued the warrant of arrest on Friday for Borromeo and his co-accused.

In handcuff which he covered with an orange with white stripes shirt, Borromeo was escorted by elements of the PNP Regional Mobile Group of Region 1, of which he was previous group director before he was assigned as chief of police of Dagupan.

He was in blue shirt and was wearing a shade when he was spotted by newsmen while he was being ushered in before the court, and when he was getting out.

His relatives were reportedly around but preferred to remain incognito.

It was learned that Borromeo gave himself up with the Criminal Investigation and Detection Group (CIDG) at Camp Crame on Sunday, soon after he was informed that a warrant for his arrest and his other co-accused was issued by Judge Alim.

His other co-accused are Joselito Artuz, the alleged financier of the shabu laboratory, located in Upper Bimmotobot, Naguilian, La Union who remained at-large, the two caretakers, namely Dante Palaganas and Andy Tangalin; and several unnamed Chinese nationals, identified only as John Does, who were tagged as the ones who manufactured shabu.

Borromeo was escorted by personnel from the PNP Custodial Center at Camp Crame on Wednesday night who turned him over to PNP authorities in Region 1.

It was learned that Borromeo’s lawyers had filed a motion before the court seeking that the former Dagupan city chief of police be committed at Camp Crame detention center while the case is on trial.

Borromeo was on floating status at Camp Crame when he reported back to work after the lapse of his preventive suspension sometime in January this year. (PNA)



Comments are closed.