DOH reports 4 new confirmed cases of A(H1N1)

May 27, 2009 1:22 pm 

By Francis Jay M. Bilowan

MANILA, May 27 — The Department of Health (DOH) on Wednesday reported there are four new laboratory-confirmed Influenza A(H1N1) cases in the country.

Health Secretary Francisco Duque III said in a press conference that the new cases include two females aged one year and 26 years; and two males aged 13 years and 55 years.

Duque said the two children had history of travel from affected countries like Hongkong and the United States while the adults are said to be contacts of the novel virus-positive Taiwanese mother and daughter who attended a wedding in Zambales province recently.

He said all four are currently being observed in health facilities. The 13-year-old male has fully recovered while the rest still have cough.

The DOH chief said efforts are being taken to complete contact tracing of the confirmed cases of A(H1N1) and to place under quarantine those with known exposure to the confirmed cases.

“Those who are found ill will be brought to designated health facilities. The results of the monitoring will be shared with affected local governments once they are available so that further spread will be promptly prevented,” Duque said.

The DOH is expecting more confirmed cases in the coming weeks due to its intensive contact tracing and heightened awareness among the public.

It also said that it has been preparing for a scenario of more confirmed cases since there is continuous international travel and the number of affected countries continues to increase.

However, it assured the public that the pandemic preparedness and response plan is in place and that it has expanded its referral hospitals to all DOH Regional Hospitals and Medical Centers.

So far the DOH reported that there are still 28 cases under observation (CUOs) for possible infection of influenza A(H1N1) after some of the persons who attended a wedding party in Zambales province, which was also attended by two A(H1N1)-confirmed Taiwanese nationals, submitted themselves for quarantine.

Duque said eight of the CUOs were attendees of the said wedding and were quarantined by the DOH after they called the regional office in Central Luzon.

Duque said there were some 50 persons who attended the said wedding and so far only 11 of them have submitted themselves to authorities and only three so far have been tested negative for the virus.

Duque reiterated that if people concerned have traveled to an Influenza A(H1N1) affected country or have been exposed to a confirmed case of Influenza A(H1N1) and have fever, cough, sore throat or other flu-like symptoms, please consult a health facility immediately.

He also asked the public to report similar incidents by calling the DOH Hotline (02) 711-1001 or 711-1002. For the Visayas, you can call the DOH Hotline (032) 418-7636 and (032) 255-1591. For Mindanao, you can call the DOH Hotline (082) 227-2731.(PNA)

DCT/FMB

Comments

Comments are closed.