Los Angeles officials support to renew U.S. ban on assault weapons

April 15, 2009 10:28 am 

LOS ANGELES, April 15 — Los Angeles city officials said Tuesday they support the federal government to renew a U.S. ban on assault weapons, calling American people's obsession with firearms "sick."

The city council went on record at a Tuesday meeting in support of the reauthorization of a federal ban on assault weapons, including semi-automatic military-style guns.

The Federal Assault Weapons Ban, signed by former President Bill Clinton in 1994, prevented the sale of 19 types of semi- automatic weapons, like AK-47s. The ban expired and was not renewed in 2004 during the Bush administration.

"We know we can do with a lot less assault weapons here in the United States and abroad," said Councilman Jose Huizar. "We need to have a consistent policy throughout the United States."

Councilman Jack Weiss, chair of the Public Safety Committee, said the country has an "obsession" with firearms that leads to violence like the slayings of four police officers in the northern California city of Oakland last month.

"It's something that people of this country should be really deeply disturbed to know, that it's a sickness in America — a sick American obsession with assault weapons," Weiss said.

The Obama administration has said that it is considering to reinstitute the assault weapons ban. (PNA/Xinhua) ALM/ebp

Comments

Comments are closed.